Programs at our nursery school
Little Blessings Nursery School morning and afternoon programs provide a variety of play experiences, which assist each child through their various stages of development (spiritual, intellectual, physical, social and emotional). Our bright rooms are arranged in learning centres to facilitate learning through play. Materials available to the children allow for open-ended play that challenges active minds and bodies. We offer free play as well as group learning. We are pleased to offer small class sizes with a maximum of 12 children per class while maintaining a ratio of eight children to one teacher or lower at all times.
We provide a snack that we enjoy together, praying before we eat. We also have a large outdoor play yard that is used in all seasons. A full size gym is also available for various activities and get-togethers or if the weather does not permit us to go outside.
Our program allows for flexibility so that individual needs and interests are fulfilled. Our staff is sensitive to your child’s needs, supporting his/her various stages of development, and ensuring their health and safety within our centre. Throughout the school year, we program our Christian curriculum into the various areas of play. It is incorporated through art and cognitive activities, music and Bible stories.
Little Blessings Nursery School strives to provide a high-quality nursery school program in a caring nurturing Christian setting. We believe that it is important to stay current with advancements in the field of early childhood education while listening to the needs of the families in our community.
We are licensed by the Ministry of Education and are regularly inspected by the Durham Region Health Department, Fire Department and as well Durham Region Children Services. For detailed information, see How Learning Happens, a Ministry of Education document.
Mission: Provide a safe and nurturing environment for children to learn through play and to support the children's family and Christian values.
2022 - 2023 Fee Schedule
Morning Program (9 to 11:30 am)
2-day program is offered on Tuesday and Thursday.
3-day program is offered on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
5-days is available by selecting both the 2-day and 3-day programs.
- 2 mornings a week – $210/month
- 3 mornings a week – $290/month
Afternoon Program (1:15 to 3:45 pm)
3-day program is offered on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
- 3 afternoons a week – $290/month
Little Blessings Nursery School has been successfully enrolled into the Canada-Wide Early Learning and Child Care System. (CWELCC). To ensure child care is more affordable for families, CWELCC will lower average fees for participating licensed child care programs through a phased approach. By September 2025, lower licensed child care fees to an average of $10 per day.
Early Learning for Every Child Today (ELECT) or Early Learning Framework (ELF) is a Best Start initiative that was established to develop an early learning framework for preschool settings that would link them to Junior/Senior Kindergarten. It was developed to create a continuum of development for young children. It is based on Six Principles; Little Blessings Nursery School (LBNS) supports this document and the information that it offers to help us to better our program.
Below are the Six Principles and a brief description of how we will implement them into our program.
1. Early child development sets the foundation for lifelong learning, behaviour and health. LBNS will provide a program where children can explore, grow and build on concepts. An example of this is showing the letter “A” this is what it looks like, this is what it sounds like and these are some things that start with the letter “A”. School will be fun in all elements of learning. Children will be encouraged to respect others, themselves and God. They will be encouraged to try new things and participate in group activities.
2. Partnerships with families and communities strengthen the ability of early childhood settings to meet the needs of young children LBNS will have ongoing communication with families so we can relate to each individual child to meet their needs. We will explore and join together with other agencies to help each child to reach their fullest potential in our setting and share information with families to help the continuum of learning at home. We will be sensitive to cultural values and allow families to share those in our program. We will partnership with Hebron Christian Reformed Church to provide a Christian foundation for families.
3. Demonstration of respect for diversity, equity and inclusion are prerequisites for optimal development and learning. We will encourage healthy dialog about cultural, ability and physical uniqueness. LBNS will make provisions for children with special needs to the best of our ability. We will work with families and resource information and outside agencies as needed to allow children to participate in our program. We will strive to provide an environment that is safe for children with allergies and special diets. We will communicate in our teaching that we are all equal and help them to be sensitive to the needs of others.
4. A planned curriculum supports early learning. At LBNS, we will offer an environment with a wide variety of learning experiences for children. While focusing on family, health and community we will provide learning experiences for physical, emotional, language, intellectual, spiritual and social growth. Teachers will help children to learn self-regulation in an environment that is caring of individual needs. Programming will offer choice as well as boundaries with setting limits.
5. Play is a means to early learning that capitalizes on children’s natural curiosity and exuberance. Children will be offered many opportunities and tools to enable them to experiment, investigate, problem solve and find their own answers. The teachers at LBNS will allow the children to explore by providing new experiences. They will be encouraged to try new things and build on principles that they have already mastered. While coming alongside the children teachers will ask questions and encourage oral communication to build confidence and make new friends. By communicating with the parents, teachers will share what the children are learning so these ideas can be also talked about at home to create a circle of learning for the children.
6. Knowledgeable and responsive early childhood practitioners are essential to early childhood settings. The teachers will create an environment that is emotionally warm and positive when dealing with children, families and members of the community. Teachers will be in constant communication with each other concerning the children and ideas they have for the program through staff meetings or through written communication in log books. The teachers will gather together to discuss observations, information and plan for the future. They will participate in workshops and courses offered in the community together to always be updating and refreshing their current skills. They will share this information where needed with parents and implement new ideas into the program.
Community Goodwill Position
The Goodwill Position for the 2021 – 2022 school year has been closed. We welcome you to apply next year. Please check back here for updates.
As a way of giving back to the community, Little Blessings Nursery School is providing a Goodwill Position in our afternoon program. For this program only, the normal school fee will be waived.
To qualify for the Goodwill Position the parent or guardian must write a letter to the Little Blessings Board of Directors outlining why you feel your child would benefit from this opportunity and explain the family’s need for support. In addition, it is asked that the parent or guardian of the child selected for this program would be available to provide volunteer time with the school once per week, during the school year. Please outline in your letter how you will be able to facilitate your volunteer hours. Each letter received will be kept in the strictest of confidence and shared only with the Board of Directors, Board Church Liaison and School Supervisor.
Read what parents say about us!
“And the child grew and became strong in spirit, filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was upon him.” (Luke 2:40)